Thursday 31 March 2016

Because all it takes is one small act

So, I struggle almost every time with a topic. What is important for me and relatable to other people, because those two things almost never match.

Well this one is a little different.

The other day, I was walking down the street and I saw a woman struggling with her two wheeler. She couldn't get it started. The owner of a pathetic Activa myself (because it is old and not well maintained, no offence, Honda), I know the struggle all too well. So I had seen her from a distance, while I could not gauge the exact problem, I knew I could help. But I kept looking and thinking what the problem was. I passed her and I realised I should have stopped and asked, yet, I did nothing to turn around and actually help her. I just kept walking and thinking how it was wrong that I had walked away. Five minutes later when I came back on the same route, someone was there helping her. I felt better. But it was empty consolation.



I knew I could and should have helped her, but I didn't. There has been not one, but many instances involving different things where I could have been of help but chose to walk away. It's shameful. There have been instances when I needed help, and nobody volunteered. I guess that's how the circle goes.

Maybe we don't have to help every time we see someone in distress, but if we do it every 5 times of 10, Maybe those 5 times will come around for us out of every 10 times that we need help, and if we manage to get help 50% of the time in this crazy world today, I would be proud that we have still humanity left in the world. 

It could be the smallest of things, like helping your grandmother find her way about her new smartphone, or helping your mother bring down a heavy box from the shelf, or running an errand for your dad, or helping some random stranger kickstart her scooty. 


source: goodnet.org

If anyone anywhere needs a little bit of help, and we can give them that, then we add a little bit of human into this increasingly machine dominated world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment