Friday 11 March 2016

Why sometimes backups, and not dreams, should come true

So, have you ever had your dream come true?

I never had too, I always had my backup come true, like when you want to study in IIT but get NIT, or how you want to be the Head Girl at school but end up becoming smaller fish with lesser power. Like when I aimed for the first position but always got second in dance competitions. 
Backups come true, all of them :D

But then I look back now, and see the good in all of them, I know I am being holier-than-thou here, but just look at things this way. If I hadn't gotten second every time and only first, I would have stopped making the effort. Being second best in my formative years taught me what prolonged effort is. How you don't give up and keep working towards what you want to be. How to persevere, how to stay focused.

Being a deputy of something and not head, taught me how to get work done, and how not to wait around for credit. It gave me freedom to do work my way, and have somebody else be responsible for it. It gave me time to explore other things, without taking away the importance associated with a position holder. It taught me to multi-task, and manage all deadlines. It taught me whatever the position, only will is needed to make a change.

Getting NIT instead of IIT was simply the best God could have done for me. I mean I was a stupid kid, I still am, but was even worse back then. Protected child with no clue how the world worked. I would have collapsed had I been in IIT. When I left home for college, I barely could talk to guys properly (yes, even at this day and age, girls with low self-esteem can't talk to guys straight up). So, while I was unhappy that I couldn't get my dream, I know now, that I wasn't ready to live it.



What I didn't know then was that, eventually, I was getting prepared to actually live the dreams I would be aiming to achieve henceforth. Each and every one of my backups came true, none of my dreams did, but the one thing I did right was to never give up dreaming because of it. And all my backups taught me enough, to be strong enough to live my dream once it did come true.










And one day, it did. My dream. My one singular dream for two years. I literally would have dreams about this one thing I wanted. 



And I know now, that I am moving towards the life I always imagined I would have. I know all this sounds very fairytale like, but it is true. Because paths are lighting up for me as I look towards them.

The mantra is, don't give up, not for one second. And don't be disheartened, not for one second. Accept gracefully what comes your way and make the most of it, eventually, all your second options and backups will pave your way to the path that leads towards your dreams, the real high ones, not the believable and easy ones. 

Oh but all of this doesn't come automatically, you have to work, with whatever you have and whatever you can get, towards what you want. Whatever little you get, make the most out of it. I know I am being condescending, but that's how it works, only if you constantly move. Only if on days you cant get up, you will yourself to get up, dress up, and show up. It's all in the will.



It's will that pushes a bulky person so that he dances nimbly. It's will that pushes an injured athlete to finish the race. It's will that gets you out of addiction. It's will power and your ability to dream which will take you places. Just trust me on this one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment